Friday, October 9, 2009

Let's Get It Started: Immediate Changes - Exercise

Heaven help me. I just used a Black-Eyed Peas reference. You’ll have to forgive me: I had some Boom Boom Pow Chicken the other night, and it didn’t settle well. It tasted a little Fergie.
.
At least I’m not quoting Nickelback.

.
But seriously, I’ve made some immediate changes, identifying my most serious trouble points and altering them for the better. Since this post would have been too long to discuss both fitness and food, I’m addressing exercise habits today and eating habits tomorrow.

.
“I’ve Got A Feeling” these are going to help. (Yes, I am hanging my head in shame here. Damn you, will.i.am with your hip, kitschy style and catchy grooves!)

.
I’ve got to go to the Y-M-C-A!!

.
From what I understand, The Village People were the Black-Eyed Peas of the 70s. (Author's Note: Okay, I just made that up.)

.
So, how can I improve my exercise habits? Well, exercise would be a good start.


We have a family membership to the YMCA. I just need to face my fear of swine flu and get in there. If Kermit can still love Miss Piggy in these troubled times, I can use an elliptical after thoroughly cleaning, disinfecting and sterilizting it. I think I’ll stop at Sam’s Club and buy a 2 gallon jug of Purell on the way.
.
I know many of you have done this, so don’t lie to me. You haven’t worked out for a considerable amount of time, so you think, “Hey! I’m going to work out really hard today!” Somehow, you believe that you are going to undo 6 months of sitting on the couch in one 2 ½ hour workout. And what happens? Right. You are unable to move for the next three days, hiding the grimaces of pain when you have to shake someone’s hand and finding that brushing your teeth is suddenly the most difficult task anyone has ever had to take on in the history of the world!

.
At the sage counsel of my dentist, I am trying to avoid that.

.
So, for the first two weeks:

.
- 20 minutes walking/light jog/elliptical. 4 days a week.
- Light weights alternating between chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders/legs. 3 days a week.

.
I know that sounds like I’m working out 7 days a week, but I will do the light weights on the same days as the light cardio. I’ll also be mixing in walks with the girls and, perhaps, playing some tennis with Beth on the off-days.

.
I’m So Three-Thousand-and-Eight – Looking to the future

.
When I think I’ve gotten to the point where I can try new things, I will. I want to try yoga, pilates, zumba, etc. and write about those experiences. Of course, that means I should probably change the name of the blog to “The Merry Masochist.” And please give me suggestions, dear reader. I will try anything and everything at least once, except maybe “stripperobics.” Oh, who am I kidding? Break out the pole.






One of life's most vexing philosopical questions:
.
If Bryan could do this, would anyone want to see it?

2 comments:

  1. And don't forget step aerobics with me and Beth! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Bry. I tried yoga a few weeks ago. It was a Yoga for Beginners DVD. Apparently as a 'beginner', being able to bend myself in half is something I should already be able to do. Needless to say, I watched the rest of the DVD while sitting on the couch eating popcorn. I haven't totally given up on it yet though, so keep inspiring me!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete